Friday, September 18, 2009

Arabic Lentil Salad

So, I realize it has been a while since I posted anything lentil, but I wanted to try to figure out how I would approach this newly-defined project. I've done some brainstorming and have a handful of recipes that should be a lot of fun.

The first recipe is courtesy of my coworker Elizabeth: Arabic Lentil Salad.

1 lb lentils
6 C water
1/2 C olive oil
3 T lemon juice
1/8 C cider vinegar
1 galic clove, minced
1 1/2 t salt
3/4 t cayenne
1 t cumin
1/8 t black pepper
1/8 t thyme
1/8 t dry mustard
2/3 C good quality pitted sliced olives

Bring water to boil and add rinsed lentils. Boil for 12-15 minutes until al dente. Drain well. Mix together remaining ingredients and pour over lentils. Allow to marinate for at least one hour stirring occasionally.

Elizabeth suggests serving with onion slices, red pepper strips, tomato as well as anything from cucumber to blanched asparagus (although she recommends serving veggies on the side as the leftovers will be better if the veggies are crisp).

Personally, I was in a bit of a rush when I made my grocery list and forgot to add onions or red peppers or any other veggies, so my version was as is but still quite delicious. It is remarkably easy to make: assembling all non-lentil ingredients can be done while the lentils are cooking (including the required extra olive grazing). The final product has a distinctive olive undertone, with extra briny bonuses with every bite-full that includes a succulent half (I used Kalamata and green). The dish is great either cold or warm and the flavors definitely mellow for the following day's leftovers. While I had this dish as a main course, it also would make a great side dish.

Perhaps in the morning, I'll make lentil pancakes...

As for the count, I'm not really sure what I'll do with it, but for now between this recipe and the leftovers I've been eating, I'm at around 9lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment